This lighthouse, located at the easternmost point of Jamaica, is the oldest in the island.
It consist of a cast iron tube 30 m (100 ft) long which has a diameter of 5 m (18 ft) at the base and 3 m (11 ft) at the cap.
It was cast in London in 1841.
This is listed by the Jamaica National Trust Commission as one of the historic monuments of St Thomas, being 'of considerable interest to historians of industrial technology'.
The lighthouse was erected in 1841, the labour being provided by Kru men from Africa.
They were among the FREE AFRICANS who were brought to Jamaica in the period following emancipation.
Location: 17°54'57.2''N, 76°11'00''W
Picture date: 23-JAN-2000 13:00 EST
Note: 7 km drive trough sugarplants without any sign of direction.