This lighthouse which guards the entrance to Kingston Harbour is located at Great Plumb Point on the Palisadoes Road.
It was built in 1853 and its light has gone out only once since then. This was during the earthquake of 1907.
The 21 m (70 ft) stone and cast iron tower of the lighthouse shows a white light visible for about 40 km (25 miles) over the entrance of the eastern navigable channel and a red light over the south channel which is visible for 20 km (12 miles).
Location: 17°55'35.4''N, 76°47'2''W
Picture date: 23-JAN-2000 10:00 EST